Yesterday was my grandfathers birthday.

He turned an amazing 94 years old whilst still looking like he is 70!

He is an example for us all at home!

He sits up straight, is always smiling, loves to talk with people, he eats well and watches his diet, he walks a little bit everyday… And he still plays his guitar, accompanying at the famous Fado houses in Lisbon twice a week, every week. He even took the time to learn a new song, to play at my wedding when I was going down the aisle!

He is an inspiration.

His life was not very easy, he grew up in Lourenço Marques (nowadays known as Maputo). He comes from a poor family of 7 brothers and sisters. He managed to build a life for himself and his family, three times! They had to leave Mozambique, and build a new life in South Africa, and then started over again in Portugal. At some point he was working 3 jobs and taking care of his baby girl (my mother) at the same time, as my grandmother was very ill back then. I acknowledge his strength and love for life.

He has very few illnesses, and takes only 2 or 3 medications a day. It is truly amazing!

Every person he meets  asks him what’s the secret to his life, to his health.

He loves to share his secret with people, and I will share it with you too!

• Eating well:
    • low carbs,
    • lots of vegetables and fish,
    • he only eats dark chocolate,
    • wakes up every morning and drinks 3 glasses of warm water, and
    • eats a banana and an apple as his breakfast.
  • Exercise every day (even if just walking for 30min/day)
  • Have a hobby you love, and do it (in his case, it’s playing the guitar)
  • Talk to people – he loves human interaction. Every time he sees a baby he plays with him/her, he keeps his friends close, and he easily makes new friends. Every one at the shopping center where he has lunch every day knows who he is!
  • He reads the newspaper every day, and is always on top of the latest news

I believe that the habits he has implemented all his life have had a great impact in his overall health and happiness all these years.

Unfortunately, even though he is more than happy to share his secret, very few people follow it. It implies effort, not always doing what you feel like. And people are not available to do that, to take control of their own lives!

But that’s just it! You have to be self-motivated, and be proactive in your behavior to see results.

What you do today, will always impact who you are tomorrow. If you wake up early every morning, and are grumpy because you wanted to sleep more, and you feel like it’s going to be a bad day. One day, you wake up, and realize all your life was a great big bad day. If, on the other had, you wake up every morning and tell yourself “today is going to be a GREAT day!” and you are excited, motivated to start your day, everything will go smoother, and you will look back one day and realize you had a great life!

Life is made of little moments, and it’s a direct result of what we make of it. If we make an effort to eat healthy, exercise, smile, love every day, then the life we are building for the future will be better, greater, with better quality of life.

My grandfather has always taken ownership of his own life. He made of it what he wanted. And this is a great example to follow!

How do you live your life?

xoxo Andie

Please follow and like us:

40 thoughts to “94 years old and rocking it!

• Alexander Popkov

What a lovely person! Wish I can live up to this age and be in the same shape.
    I like when people share this kind of things. Wish this would go to some of the people from my country (Russia). Life expectancy is very low there… 🙁

• Andie Lopes

Alexander, you have the recipe to do it! 🙂 hopefully more people in Russia will start learning it is important to look after your health, and start practicing it! 🙂

• Tanya @ Intimate Explorations

He looks amazing!! My father is 72 and also looks great. I hope he lives until at least 94! 🙂 I love what you’ve said about the habits you live today. It’s so inspiring to see him so full of life. Thank you for sharing your grandfather with us! oxo

• Andie Lopes

Thank you Tania! he is a true inspiration to us all! We always tell him that he is going to live to at least 100! Hope your father lives at least to 94 too! 🙂 xoxo

• Marlene

Fantástico Andrea. E obrigada por partilhares as ‘dicas’ para que tds possamos chegar aos 94 como o teu avô 😉
    O art está excelente! Parabéns.

• Andie Lopes

Obrigada Marlene! como ele gosta de partilhar com toda a gente as dicas, achei que seria uma boa maneira de celebrar o seu aniversário! Bjs

• Star harford

Wow your Grandfather does not look 94!! He sounds like an amazing, strong man who has taken the negative aspects of his past and turned them around to be the positive person he is today! You are lucky to have him! I follow most of his advice already and eat the exact same thing for breakfast but Im going to try drinking warm water too!

• Andie Lopes

Fantastic! You are already working towards a better future you! Congrats on that!
      My nutritionist also said to add lemon juice to the warm water. I find it quite hard to do, but lemon also has very good properties!

• Chelsda Elizabeth

Oh wow! Happy belated birthday. I cannot believe your grandfather is 94 years old! He honestly does look no older than 70! I hope I look as good as his age! Congratulations

• Andie Lopes

Thank you! I hope part of it is genetic too! let’s see! I do try to follow some of his secrets. But am a little lazy on other things (must be honest!)

• frank

he did the right thing by moving and what a great person!

• Andie Lopes

Yes, it was some dangerous times back then. He speaks about how hard it was to start over, but in the end it was for the safety of his family 🙂 thank you

• bestiesnotepad

Thats a beautiful beautiful post!! He must be so happy and proud to know you wrote about him!

• Andie Lopes

We are very proud of him! He deserves all the love we can give him and much more! 🙂

• Meaghan

Happy Birthday to your awesome Grandfather! What an example of living a great life! Love this post!

thank you!

• Nicole Anderson | Camping for Women

Looking at the photos, it is hard to believe your Dad is 94! He looks so good. I agree that having a great attitude and a bit of self-discipline in life really impacts positively on your health and well-being generally. He is living proof to show that approach really pays off!

For sure!!!

• Bushra

I think we should all adopt all the habits mentioned above so that we can live long and happy life!!!

• Andie Lopes

agreed! But its easier said than done! He has great willpower!

• Bhumi

Wish belated birthday to your grandfather from my side!🎉 Exercise keeps the body healthy but it’s hobby and interaction with others that keeps your soul alive!

• Andie Lopes

definitely agree with you.

• London Mumma

Happy birthday grandad, he certainly looks good for his 94 years of age.

thank you!

• Geogia Stallcop

Belated Happy Birthday to Grandad! My Grandmother lived to be 97 years old. My husband’s grandmother is 96. They are both from Greece. It seems people that lived and grew up in the “old world” lived and ate better, even thought they went through terrible hardships that we will never have to endure.

• Andie Lopes

It’s true! Our generation problem is that we also have fast food and other commodities that are unhealthy but easily accessible.

• Eloise

Wow, he looks great! Sounds like he knows what it takes to life a long happy life. thanks for the list of what he does so that we readers can incorporate it all into our lifestyles. I live a pretty healthy lifestyle as is, but I would love to play an instrument (esp guitar!)

• Andie Lopes

I’ve tried to learn, but it hurts so much on the fingers!!!! Unfortunately neither my Mom, my sister or I learned how to play. We all wanted to, but never managed!

• David Elliott

I am so impressed by the great habits that he has developed. I do think that establishing good habits early on does make you live longer and be happier.

definitely!

• L dove

Ahh I love this. 95 is a fab age! My grandad lived to 99 and was fit as a fiddle!

• Andie Lopes

Wow! 99 is an amazing age!

• Ellie

Wow! Happy birthday to your Grandpa! He’s looking like my Grandmother (age-wise) she looks so young too and I’m sure it’s down to a good diet and exercise all her life!

• Andie Lopes

It would be interesting to know what it is your grandmother does to keep her youth 🙂

• Rhiannon-Skye Boden

What an inspiration! I think we could all learn a thing or two from his healthy lifestyle!

• Elizabeth O

Your grandfather looks so amazing. He still so young looking even if he’s 94 yrs old. Belated happy birthday to your gtandfather.

thank you!

• Sarah

This is a wonderful post and very inspirational. My grandfather just turned 91 and learning from him and hearing his stories are something I love!

• Andie Lopes

There is so much we can learn from our elderly, right? 🙂

• Cassandra

Wow!! Your grandfather looks incredible I would have never guessed his age correctly.